Monday, May 4, 2026

An Unaccustomed Flurry of Book Buying

It seems like several years have passed since the last time I chose to invest in any fictional works.  I always try to find what I want at the local libraries, city and county.  I have so often been disappointed in many of the new books I have bought and, as we all know, books are expensive these days.

This rule of thumb has been broached, however, just recently.  All because I could not find this Emma M. Lion series at the library except as audio books.  So I took a leap of faith and purchased Volumes One and Two, as a test. Well, they exceeded my expectations (!) and so I followed up with Volumes Three, Four and Five, which arrived Sunday.  When these have been read, there are still Volumes Six, Seven and Eight to procure, with a Volume Nine reportedly nearing publication.  

In addition, a friend highly recommended Theo of Golden by Allen Levi, which also arrived Sunday.

Looking forward to several days of happy escapism into other places and other times . . . 





8 comments:

  1. Theo of Golden! I ordered it on my kindle and enjoyed it so much that I ordered an actual copy so I could share it. My husband just finished it. He's usually a non fiction or history lover, but he really enjoyed it. Yesterday I passed it on to a friend at church. Hope you enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am quite intrigued by the set of books! Would love to hear more about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth, they are very entertaining and keep a person guessing about what's going to happen next. So far I've only read the first two; after I've read further, I will let you know my thoughts. They are not books I would read a second time but so far I do like them.

      Delete
    2. Hi! I am so reading these more than once, I got Vol 1 and 2 already! I am like she is poised to be the next Harry Potter she's so amazing and fun! I would not have known about them but am so happy I do now! Her sense of humour and more is so delightful!

      Delete
  3. How nice to find a new to you enjoyable series to read! Happy May to you. We'll be in your state shortly for a Memorial and extended visit with family there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am so glad you found them. I just did a post on dear Emma. I think I am on my fifth time through and I listen to them when I am in my car. I plan on buying the hard copy when her new covers come out. I am so looking to volume 9, Her newsletters are just as wonderful. It made me so happy to see this on your blog. Isn't that how we met, you loved Elisabeth Goudge? I have even went back and now I am rereading Emily of New Moon. Its just the same kind of magic. I think though that Emma is in a class all by herself. You made my day,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim! So glad I made your day! Yes, it was the incomparable Elizabeth Goudge that brought us into contact, I do believe. You are right about Emma too; she's certainly one of a kind. I'm just starting Volume 4, so am looking forward to many more adventures before the long wait begins for the next new book. I need to sign up for those newsletters!

      Delete
  5. Sara, if you ever get your hands on the audiobook versions of the Emma series (library?), do give them a go. The reader is absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete