Friday, June 19, 2026

Something a Little Different

The past three days have included some lovely hours reading this book.  A look at a way of life and work not familiar to me, having lived all my many years here in Southern California, in cities mostly, where I am not aware of anything like what this book describes.  I found it fascinating and I loved every word!

I first discovered Of Thorn and Briar via Instagram (@westcountry_hedgelayer), where the author, Paul Lamb, shares some lovely posts.  I kept referring to it as I read the book, to see visually what he was describing so well in his book.  He also has a website here detailing what he is doing these days in his effort to encourage further interest and appreciation for the centuries-old craft of hedgelaying and its benefits for the biodiversity and preservation of the environment.   He begins with August and describes, month by month, the work and life of a woodsman, countryman, hedgelayer in the beautiful countryside of southwest England.  It is well written and an easy and pleasant read.  Something a bit different from my usual reading, and no less enjoyable.  

 




5 comments:

  1. How nice to enjoy something different to your usual reading. I love driving by and seeing those hedges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I follow Paul's IG account just enjoying the views of the countryside. I'd forgotten that he'd written a book. Don't you (half) wish you could've bought his cozy wagon when he was putting it up for sale?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband, a long ago farmer, would have loved that book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that sort of book. Must look out for it

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always manage to find such interesting books!

    ReplyDelete