Monday, July 13, 2026

Instagram Farewells

I have said goodbye to Instagram; I was being sucked into the big black whirlpool of constant scrolling and wasting valuable time best spent elsewhere.  For months, years, I tried to practice restraint and use common sense but, alas, it seems I have none where that particular social media platform is concerned!

So, in a few days, this Friday, I am hitting the "Delete" button and it's all gone! The fact that I want so much NOT to depart from Instagram tells me it must be done.  Goodbyes already have been said to everyone, and I've let people know where they can find me if they are so inclined. 

And for me, a deeper level of peace.  Already I have been able to submerge my distracted soul more deeply into the quiet waters of prayer and reading each day.  Living in the present, being present . . .

And thus I hope to continue . . .

I will say Instagram (its good side) is a beautiful, colorful place.  In preparation for leaving, I whittled down my posts, took screen shots, and ran them through the Waterlogue App to make art out of them.  A sweet little memento of time spent there.  So much beautiful color and pattern, reminiscent of a quilt made from iridescent rainbow fragments . . . I offer a small selection: 







I don't expect they will mean anything to anyone but me, who remembers each photo and what it represents.  Many and varied moments of one woman's life, memorialized in vibrantly colored squares.

Goodbye Instagram!  I have experienced a handful of difficult goodbyes this year and this is certainly one of them.  In the case of this goodbye, it is painful, but it is also very, very good for me. 

11 comments:

  1. I have also done this. I am still working on the not having my phone nearby all the time but it is good to not have Instagram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth! I sympathize with your struggle. Finally decided I had to be drastic and just get rid of Instagram altogether. Deactivating and/or removing from my phone never lasted very long.

      Delete
  2. I totally understand. ❤️ Can't seem to login to comment, so having to be anonymous. ~melissa in memphis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have stopped putting anything on Instagram. It's time to delete it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just another lovely but unneeded distraction (at least for some of us). I feel much better now that I got rid of mine.

      Delete
  4. Well, I went ahead and pulled the plug today (Wednesday) instead of waiting till Friday. There was no point in delaying it. Anyone who cared enough to stay in touch here on the blog or on my little Facebook account had already let me know. I found a few others whom I was able to "follow" on Facebook (I think this is new since the last time I was there?). It's different from "friends" and it gives them the option to send me a friend request if they want to. I also sent a few "friend requests" to others, who have that option available, but I think a lot of people are not posting on FB anymore, and I don't blame them! I don't expect to hear back from most of them. I won't be posting much there anyway, or at least that's the plan! So it's back to blogging for me, perhaps a bit more than in recent years. Lovely to be here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you informed me of your blog before you left Instagram.
    And in the collages I noticed the three phrases from The Scent of Water! My favorite E Goudge book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like very much how you have saved your photos. I also think you are very wise :)

    ReplyDelete