Friday, August 9, 2013

A few dusty jackets....

This post was originally published in September of 2007, just a couple of months after I started blogging.  What an adventure this blogging experiment has turned out to be. 

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

Today I thought it might be fun to show you a few rather old but quite interesting dust jackets from a handful of my favorite books. All of the books are, of course, by Elizabeth Goudge!

This first one is her autobiography, The Joy of the Snow, copyright 1974, Hodder and Stoughton, Ltd., London. I start with this cover because of what is depicted: the seventeenth-century cottage, called Rose Cottage, where Elizabeth Goudge lived for nearly 40 years until she died in 1984. Rose Cottage is located in Dog Lane, just off Peppard Common, near Henley-on-Thames in Oxfordshire. How quaint is that address! It's like my dream of the perfect place to live...a quaint old cottage in a narrow lane somewhere in the beautiful English countryside.


On pages 246-7, Ms. Goudge describes the area when she first moved there:
In those days Peppard Common could still be said to be in the country. A few houses were grouped around it and to the north the road that crossed the common disappeared towards Henley between tall elm trees, the village pond to the left and the seventeenth-century inn, The Dog, to the right. The entrance to Dog Lane could hardly be seen where it left the road beside the inn, and the two cottages in the lane hiding behind the inn could hardly be seen either. Dog Lane is very ancient, it was a Pack and Prime lane, and is still called that when it reaches Henley. The men with their pack-horses primed their pistols when they rode up from the river to the wild common lands above. The two cottages are called Primrose Cottage and Rose Cottage and have been called those names for perhaps three hundred years...

Living there, Ms. Goudge was inspired to write an historical novel called The White Witch, copyright 1958, Hodder and Stoughton, Ltd., London, a fascinating story about that area of Oxfordshire. She includes in the story a woman, the "white witch," who lives in Rose Cottage. The home was featured on the book's dust jacket, and you can see the resemblance to the cottage on The Joy of the Snow's jacket.

Interestingly (to me anyway), about a year ago, when I had nothing better to do, I "Googled" Dog Lane, Peppard Common and found that Rose Cottage was being offered for sale for 695,000 British Pounds, which I believe is just over $1 million in US currency. And the other cottage in Dog Lane, Primrose Cottage, had recently sold for 725,000 British Pounds. Guess I won't be moving there—not at those prices!


And now for the dust jacket from her book The Rosemary Tree, copyright 1956, Coward-McCann, Inc., New York. This is extra special to me because the wonderful illustrations are found on both the front and the back of the jacket. I just love the style and color of these old-fashioned drawings! And in my opinion, the story is just as delightful the art depicting it.




Next we have this charming dust jacket for Gentian Hill, copyright MCMXLIX, Coward-McCann, Inc., New York. Do you know what year those Roman numerals indicate? I don't; my dear hubby translated them for me - it is 1949. I am enamored of those sailing ships in the bay and the view from the little chapel on the cliff above the sea.

Old sailing ships have always fascinated me, probably from reading about them in Elizabeth Goudge's books, Gentian Hill and Green Dolphin Street (or Green Dolphin Country, as it was first published in England). Perhaps you would be interested to know that Hollywood made a movie in the 1940's of her Green Dolphin novel (sadly, my copy is sans dust jacket).




My penultimate offering for your viewing pleasure is the dust jacket for A City of Bells, first published in 1936; my edition was published in 1949, Gerald Duckworth & Co., Ltd., London. That bow window in the little building with the bookseller sign above it is significant to the story, as are the people approaching the shop's front door.




And finally, The Dean's Watch, copyright 1960, Coward-McCann, Inc., New York. See the cathedral towering over the square, and the clock shop across the way? And the characters standing there? They are all part of this fabulous story set in a cathedral town based on the English town of Ely, where Elizabeth Goudge lived in her youth with her parents. Her father, Principal of the Theological College at Wells Cathedral, was offered a canonry at Ely Cathedral and the family moved there for the sake of her mother's health. Ms. Goudge says on page 100 of her autobiography "...for me, Ely was the home of all homes."

All of these lovely dust jackets contain hints about what's inside the pages of these novels, as any good jacket must. I've read these stories so many times since the 1960's that it's almost as though I have personally met the characters, and this is yet another reason why I so enjoy looking at them as the artists conceived of them in each of these wonderful illustrations.

I hope you enjoyed my little tour!

9 comments:

  1. Oh I love those jackets! I keep looking for her books. I'll be so excited when I find that old used bookstore that has one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY ~~ I am a collector and reader of Elizabeth Goudge SO your page of the book covers thrilled me!

    Bonnie
    in Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Bonnie in Charlotte - and I am thrilled to hear from another Elizabeth Goudge fan! I guess you have your blog restricted - I was not able to see it, so am leaving you this message here. Thanks so much for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to head over to my library and see if they have Goudge. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Sara, from another Goudge fan! Lovely to see images of other covers. Best wishes.

    P.S. if you key "MCMXLIX in Arabic" into Google, it translates the Roman numerals for you : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    Stumbled across your blog while Googling for something on local history (I live in next village to Peppard, though not in anything so old, quaint and pretty - nor pricey!).

    As you also have "Howard's End " on your favourite book list, I thought I'd mention that the location for the film version was Peppard Cottage, just across the common from Dog Lane.


    A bit of background from a snippet I compiled for our village magazine:
    Philip and Ottoline Morrell acquired Peppard Cottage as their country retreat in 1907, Philip having become MP for South Oxfordshire. Their home became a focal point for the artistic Bloomsbury Set and, as a patron of the arts, Lady Ottoline frequently entertained literary friends there, such as George Bernard Shaw, Bertrand Russell and Henry James. She was a bit of a minx and ‘entertainment’ sometimes went a little beyond wining & dining! Her entanglements included the artist Augustus John, for whom she posed disrobed in nearby Little Bottom Wood. Might that be how this arboreal haven got thus named?!

    Another of the Bloomsbury crowd was E M Forster, author of the 1910 novel "Howards End". Forster based the fictional house on Rooks Nest, his childhood home in Kent. When locations were under consideration for the 1992 film adaptation, the director was superstitious about the idea of using the original house. The production designer for "Howards End" was a friend of the owners of Peppard Cottage and so that became the focal point of the film instead.

    Peppard Cottage has also been utilised in episodes of “Inspector Morse” and for the film “Unconditional Love”, in which my daughter starred…. well, OK, in which she was an extra along with other locals….and it wasn’t her fault that the particular scene ended up on the cutting room floor. Another bit-part player was Helena Bonham-Carter. Here, just a mile or so away was her relative, our late lamented Sibella Bonham Carter but Helena didn’t pop in for a cuppa. SHAME ON HER!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Ken....if you come back here to read this, I just want to thank you for your comment and very interesting history of Peppard Common! I would send you an email or go to your blogger profile, but you have both options blocked.

    Best wishes to you...and thanks again for stopping by.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi again Sara,

    Re: "I would send you an email or go to your blogger profile, but you have both options blocked",
    that's far too technical for me! I got your email OK, thank you, and have replied with some further details on E. Goudge and Peppard. I don't have a blog.

    Incidental, additional snippet on my earlier info, Sibella Bonham Carter was a niece of Florence Nightingale.

    Best wishes to you all across the pond!

    Cheers

    Ken

    ReplyDelete