Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Elizabeth in Wells, England

Dear Diary, today I am republishing a post from a couple of years ago (has it truly been that long?) about Elizabeth Goudge (1900-1984), the marvelous English author whose works have had such an impact on my inner self since I first discovered her at age twelve.  Over time, when I return from my upcoming week of travels, I may be republishing several other posts about her.  For now, here goes . . . Elizabeth and the Cathedral city of Wells . . .


Moat and Bishop's Palace, Wells, by Walter Crane, 1893

Monday afternoon I grabbed The Joy of the Snow off the shelf and prepared to lose myself in the pages of Elizabeth Goudge's autobiography, written in her early 70s at the urging of friends.  Of the book she says:  . . . this book is hardly an autobiography, it is more an attempt to recapture happy memories and with them some of the joy in places and people that I have known, and to share them. And to share, too, some of the conclusions I have come to about work and life.  Neither will be in the least exciting and so my hope for this book is that it will be a good bedside book, and keep nobody awake. (page 2)


 She begins her story in Wells, England, where her father was Vice-Principal of Wells Cathedral's Theological College, and later promoted to Principal.  A few pages in, as she is describing the two homes their little family of three lived in—first the Tower House where she was born in 1900, and subsequently the Principal's House across the road, where the family moved when she was still a toddler, I set the book aside because . . .

. . . no, it was not putting me to sleep, but . . .

. . . I found myself hungering for an accurate visual image of the placement of these homes and their gardens in relation to the Cathedral.  So, after reading only ten pages . . . I then spent a few hours at the computer rummaging around in Cyberspace to see what I could find.

First, let me share some words from Elizabeth talking about her memories of those places:
I think I am correct in thinking that the garden of the Principal's House was a marvelous one.  It was in those days large and . . . had everything that a garden should have; grass and trees, flowers and vegetables, and it had something which few gardens can boast; a cathedral for one of its walls.  Beside the Cathedral, under an archway, a gate opened into a small graveyard and from there another archway led into the cloisters.  Whenever I liked I could run through the green garth to the cloisters, and I often did.  I liked being there alone and gazing out through the arches at the central square of green grass that seemed to breathe out cool quietness . . .

. . . On the south of our garden a low wall separated us from a peaceful curve of water, a kind of lake, with flowers growing beside it, that stretched out like a friendly arm from the main waterway of the moat.  Beside it was a green watery place . . . an extension of our garden . . . reached through a low gate just the right size for a child . . . Irises grew in the long grass, and enormous blue periwinkles.  I have never seen such periwinkles, not even in Devon.  A country name for them is Joy of the Ground and I loved them dearly; not least because of the fairy brooms that grew in their hearts.  (page 9-10)
Does that not seem like an enchanted place?
Does that not make you wish you could visit and experience something similar?
Well, it's true, you can never go back . . . to the 1900's in Wells,
but with the help of 21st Century technology, 
we can still visit and dream . . .
so here are a few of the things I gleaned in my Cyberspace rummaging session . . .



What Elizabeth calls the Principal's House in her autobiography
is now known as the Rib House (photo source).  


 Adjacent to the Rib House is a self-catering apartment known as The Piggeries.
(From a site touting self-catering establishments in Wells):  The Piggeries is a medieval holiday ‘cottage’ for two, self-contained, in the heart of Wells, a few feet from the Cathedral and the gardens of the Bishop’s Palace. Step back in time. The Piggeries are authentic, rustic and quirky - and in a unique situation, a few yards from the ancient springs. Sit on the patio and hear the choir and the organ in the Cathedral next door. In the garden are free-range chickens.
Sounds like an idyllic spot for a lazy summer's week-long holiday, and the perfect home base from which to explore the city of Wells (yes, I'm dreaming again!).  Wells is known as England's smallest city, with a population of about 12,000, but it has had city designation since 1205.  Evidently that is because it has a cathedral...and by the way, the cathedral's official name is Cathedral Church of Saint Andrew, better known simply as Wells Cathedral.

 In this aerial view of Wells Cathedral, courtesy of wikimedia,
I can orient myself by the cathedral.
Before it I see the two straight rows of the Vicars' Close
with the wide walkway between.
Left of Vicars' Close set in the trees I can see the Tower House.
And above the Tower House (across St. Andrews Street, not visible here)
I see the pale gold facade and red roof of the Principal's House/Rib House.
Behind that, I catch the gleam of the curved "lake" she mentions
 being at the bottom of their garden,
and some of the moat around the Bishop's Palace.

The Musician and I visited Wells, all too briefly, in the summer of 2009.  We toured Glastonbury and Wells in the same day. We walked through that tower gate into the Vicars' Close and along the walkway between the houses.  Little did I know the Tower House was just next door, and the Principal's House across the street.

I wish I had known . . .
I would have gone to take a closer look.


 And in this aerial view, courtesy G**gle *aps, I can look down on it all from the other direction.
Find the octagonal roof of the cathedral's Chapter House.
Across the road above it is the Vicars' Close.
To the right of the Close can be seen just one end of the Tower House.
Come back to the octagonal roof and to the right of it is the Principal's House
with its long green garden stretching down to the curved body of water.
The cathedral cloisters are obvious by their square shape with a big tree in the middle,
and to the right of the cloisters, between the complex of buildings and the cathedral
is the little green area with gravestones.
At the bottom of the picture is the Bishop's Palace.

On our visit in 2009, we walked along the cloisters and out into the little garden and graveyard area.
We peeked through a little window in the garden wall at the water below.  And, of course, we spent quite a while inside the beautiful cathedral itself.  If I ever have the honor of visiting Wells again, I will know my way around and will certainly spend a lot more time there.

By the way, it is possible you have seen bits and pieces of Wells and, like me, did not realize it.  If you want to know more, take a quick look at this site talking about film and television in Wells.

And while you do that, I am going back to my reading of The Joy of the Snow.  When Elizabeth is about 10 or so, the family relocates to Ely Cathedral for her father's new position there . . . perhaps another research session is on the horizon . . . or perhaps not.  We shall see.

17 comments:

  1. It is the joy of the internet that I can find a blog like yours! My husband (who is English) has been to Wells Cathedral and he said it is as lovely as you describe.
    Thank you so very much for this post and for quoting Elizabeth Goudge's autobiography. That is a book that I think I would dearly love to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful ... and no one can describe like EG, and your research and photos bring it even more to life! Thank you, Sarah. I am hoping that it will get cold here soon so I can wear your wonderful scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara,
    I'm going to bookmark this post and read it when I am on my own time back in Seattle. It looks like something I'll enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, beautiful post...I thoroughly enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the very first chapter of her autobiography. The first time I read it was magical. Wonderful , wonderful blog on the book and taking me there in photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful I happened on this post today!
    Yes, Wells is quite magical indeed and you would love to visit it I'm sure.
    My father had a branch of his office there "Bath and Wells". He used to have offices in the most lovely places --Oxford, Harrogate, Westminster, Canterbury -- all places with Cathedrals.
    I was last there many years ago when we took a trip through the west country before our son was born.
    (I'm now a grandma!) but I always remember how the choir schoolchoirboys sang at Evensong. A glimpse of heaven on earth really. Somerset is also well known for alcoholic cider (scrumpy!) which lots of people love... not me.
    Do hope you get to see Wells.
    The Rib House is too beautiful to believe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Sara, for the wonderful post. I love your writing and seldom post a comment but oh my goodness... thank you for sharing this! She's one of my favorite authors and I somehow missed this book. Now to search for a copy online! Let me also say I love your posts about Psalms so very much. They have been a genuine blessing. Sharyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool is it that you could virtually visit the place you are currently reading about in Elizabeth Goudge's book? Often when I am wandering through a historical place or in the countryside where there is crumbling evidence of a past residence, I wonder what life must have been like back then and who lived there.

    Michael Ondaantje's book, In the Skin of a Lion, is one of my favourite books not onlly because it's so well written but because it gives glimpses into what life must have been like in various neighborhoods in Toronto, Canada (where I once lived).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Sara and cool that you visit this place.
    There has been a while since I read anything other than the bible.., maybe I want now after reading this.

    Hugs from North:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful...one of my favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have got me intrigued again. This whole google earth thing is too ridiculously amazing! I find myself getting caught up in scouring the hometowns of my ancestors in Italy for hours. It is amazing what I have found. Now I need to find The Joy of the Snow E.G. book :)

    Great post Sara. Oh and here is another thought...try you tube. I found a video of my families native village by another genealogy buff. She went there and posted a video of it on you tube. Maybe some one has some videos of Wells?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh! I had missed this! Thanks for telling me about this post. I will have to read it carefully a little later, and maybe send you photos of our visit to Wells and the cathedral. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited to read this post. We are booked to spend one night in Wells and to visit the cathedral in September. I'll be bookmarking this to study further. I'll also do a search to see if I can come by this book by Goudge...
    Enjoyed reading the comments, too.
    Ely Cathedral looks like an amazing cathedral, too...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yippee. I have The Joy of Snow on hold at my local library. I will look forward to reading it before our trip...

    ReplyDelete
  15. My daughter and I stayed in a B&B in Wells, across the green from the cathedral. I had booked that place after reading The Joy of Snow. It was the loveliest little town....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sara thank you so much for your research. I can see it in my mind now. Oh, to think in 2009 you were there. I just love when little things like that happen. I have enjoyed your writing this morning and feel so blessed to have stopped by and taken a walk though these places. I will find this book soon. I have such a stack of her books from the library to get through.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful post, I shall look the book up in my local library and look forward to reading !
    Such a grand cathedral, but then most of them are..
    Thank you for stopping by, and leaving such a sweet comment.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete